St. Peter Catholic Church
The core of the present St. Peter Catholic Church was begun in 1892 and constructed of cream-city brick and dedicated on May 1, 1893. The church was built on one of the “seven hills” in Slinger similar to the City of Rome which attracted parishioners to this spot. This local landmark with a four-sided steeple clock and bell tower rises 138 feet above the village.
In 2016, an architecture firm was hired to design an addition to this historic church. JSD worked with the architect, clergy, and church officials to prepare a design that was inclusive of the history and original architecture of the church. JSD’s design resolved numerous parking, traffic and circulation challenges that were a concern for the parish due to its growing worship attendance, especially during the holidays. JSD’s innovative approach also resulted in the rewriting of the Village’s parking ordinance.
JSD surveyed the property which required research on records over 100 years old, working with the Village of Slinger and the Department of Transportation on resolution of the right-of-way. A boundary and topographic map was prepared in sufficient detail for engineering design.
Lastly, JSD prepared grading, drainage, utility and paving design for the expansion of the church resolving difficult handicap accessibility issues for parking and access.