Civil Engineering/Land Survey Intern
This position has been designed for 3rd and 4th year students pursuing a degree in Civil Engineering, Land Surveying or Construction Management. JSD believes and respects that your education should be your highest priority, therefore, the hours for this position are fully flexible and will be offered on an as needed/as available basis customized to work around your class schedule. Hours will be available throughout the entire school year for both 1st and 2nd year students. Spring Break, Summer, and Winter Break hours are also an option.
As a full-service engineering firm, our Project Teams are spread out across Wisconsin offering local community presence and support. Our survey group provides field support for the various engineering specialties we provide, including Civil, Structural, Environmental, and Construction Services, as well as specific survey needs upon request.
This position is designed to give engineering/survey/construction students an opportunity to gain experience in their field of study in a fast-paced, exciting, and supportive environment, working for a company that is involved in a wide range of projects including: residential, commercial, industrial, and retail markets in both the private and public sector. A successful candidate must have a good work ethic, excellent oral and verbal communication skills, good computer skills, be self-motivated, and willing to learn.
Job Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Control Budgets and Schedules ensuring that projects are done within budget and on time.
- Provide oversight and guidance of the fieldwork associated with land surveying, engineering, and construction projects
- Creating and recreating proposed surfaces for construction layout purposes.
- Read and interpret plans, specifications and shop drawings
- Perform field review of contractors operations to ensure compliance with contract documents, plans and specifications
- Prepare daily and weekly reports on work accomplished by contractor(s) and review periodic pay estimates for accuracy with contractor
- Engineering design including geometric design of highways and streets and drainage design (hydrology and hydraulics)
- Perform civil engineering work on project plans for both private and public sector work including site development, commercial development plans, and subdivisions.
- Responsible for the overall engineering of the project, plan preparation, permitting, reports, etc.
- Monitor the project’s budget, monitor its schedule, and maintain client contact and relationship.
- Completes design calculations. Researches code requirements and design procedures manuals.
- Verifies design computations and plan detailing for conformance with codes, manuals, and design considerations.
- Utilizes CAD and various software applications. Seeks technical information from peers when problems are encountered and expected to be outside of one’s own area of expertise.
- Prepares correspondence, technical specifications and reports. Attends and participates at client and municipal meetings.
- Communicates with project team members, client representatives, review agencies, and others as appropriate to project.
- Overseeing and/or directing preparation of all types of surveys, including but not limited to the following:
- Plats of Survey, Subdivision Plat, CSM’s, ALTA / NSPS, Legal Description & Exhibits, Condominium Plats, Horizontal & Vertical Control Surveys, GPS Surveying & Mapping, Aerial Mapping, Construction Surveying & Mapping
- Providing leadership, mentorship, training, guidance to engineering and surveying technicians, design projects survey oversight, work closely with project managers in the civil, planning and landscape disciplines.
- Maintain an open liaison role by facilitating all communications between departments within JSD concerning on-going projects and status updates.
- Filing necessary applications and facilitating all agency communication for all Land Division Projects.
This position reports to:
Hans Justeson – Director of Engineering
Jeff Thieding – Construction Services Manager
Todd Buhr – Director of Survey
Project manager of applicable project work